Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Something Sweet

by April Serock from the March 2, 3015 issue

Tagline
Jaime had worked with Brandon for two years, but somehow she'd never seen him--or the love in his eyes...

In a Nutshell
Jaime and Brandon both wait tables at a pub. She is coming off a bad relationship with a guy who cheated on her. She realizes she needs to date nice guys, not handsome ones, and guess who's the nicest guy she knows?

Observations
First thing, I was excited to see that they weren't waiting tables in a small town cafe. Been there, done that a few times in Woman's World. It's a pub. In New York City, no less!

This was a friends-to-lovers type plot, one that's a favorite among many romance readers. What I wanted to point out was that the high-point of the story where there was the most tension was not an emotional black moment where you worry that they won't get together. Instead, it was Jaime having an epiphany. It's always nice to see one of the main characters growing as a person. You're always rooting for them to figure it out and you feel proud of them when they do.

I liked the romance of the snowfall in the city and that they were going to walk through it and I really liked the last line too. Sometimes it gets a little tedious to get those so carefully contrived last lines, so this one was a pleasant change of pace.

Photo credit: Richard Hurd via Flickr Creative Commons

8 comments:

Pat said...

Loved this story, Kate. Loved the premise, the characters, the setting, and the ending. I did notice the black moment, but didn't realize that the tension was higher when she had her epiphany so thanks for pointing that out.

The story was fresh and well-written. Hopefully we'll see more from this author.

Chris said...

I thought this was perfect. Could absolutely see why WW took it and was happy they did, cos it meant I could read it. Loved it.

Mary Ann said...

I really liked this story, too. It was very sweet but also the author threw in some real-life moments: cheating ex,waiting tables, doubts...it was a good read!

Mary Jo said...

It is amazing how much a thoughtful writer can put into 800 words.

Anonymous said...

For some reason I haven't received this issue in the mail, but it sounds like it was a really good read.

I agree about the last lines sometimes getting a little tedious. It's refreshing when writers change things up.

Tressa

Chris said...

Tressa, I've got the scanned version if you want that. Email me on csutton45athotmaildotcom (exchange the @ and .) and I'll forward it.

Pat said...

Tressa, if you have a subscription, call the number in the WW masthead. Tell them you didn't get it and you want that issue, not a magazine added to your subscription, and they will send it to you.

I've had a subscription for years and every once in a while I miss a issue. Maybe it has happen half a dozen times in over 20 years. LOL

Sandy Smith said...

I thought this was a cute story and the kind I wish I would have thought to write. I enjoyed the setting with the snow, too.