Saturday, May 2, 2015

Kristen's Bucket List

by Patty Murray from the April 20, 2015 issue

Tagline
Could love be the next check on Kristen's bucket list?

In a Nutshell
Kristen is visiting the Grand Canyon. She meets an elderly woman traveling with her handsome grandson. By the end of the afternoon, he has her phone number.

Observations
You have to admire Kristen's spirit and how, undeterred by her recent divorce, is eager to take life by the horns and go out and fulfill her dreams. She's braver than I am. As hermit-like as I am, I'd take a friend.

Jake is a terrific guy, clearly dedicated to his grandmother. It's really a wonder why he's still single. LOL

However, even with these two well-drawn characters, I found myself wondering what cities they lived in.

Otherwise, I liked the story. I liked the ending. It had just the right amount of sugar and optimism for a Woman's World story.

9 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Welcome back, Kate. I hope your father is progressing well from his stroke. Such a scary illness.

This story reminded me of the bucket list story I submitted to WW a year or two ago. Mine did not make it with Johnene, but I am glad to see from this one that she was open to the idea.

Yes, it is a problem in these little stories when two people meet far from home and actually may never see each other again. Something to keep in mind, as you have pointed out.

Sandy Smith said...

Good to have you back, Kate. I hope your dad is doing better.

I had the same thought as you about the story. I kept looking for something to indicate they lived near each other but they didn't even discuss it. I felt like that piece of information needed to be there.

Chris said...

So good to have you back, Kate. I hope that's a sign that your dad is improving.

I enjoyed this story and the possible distance involved didn't even occur to me. Maybe that's because I'm in England, so there aren't that many great distances to consider. Even if one of them had been a Scot they could still have made it work. The only thing that grated for me was the constant repetition of the word 'list' in one form or another. That did bug me. But the story was fine.

Pat said...

So glad to see you here, Kate. Hope you Dad is doing well.

I enjoyed the story. Didn't think about where they were from. I guess I should have, but in this day and age of social media I figured they'd get together eventually which is what WW wants to sell in a romance.

bettye griffin said...

Welcome back, Kate! Hope your dad is doing better.

I also thought it odd that the geographic locations of their respective homes wasn't mentioned. I kept thinking, what if he lives in California and she lives in Texas? Oh, well.

Mary Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

Happy to see you're back, Kate and I hope your father is recovering well.

I thought this story picked a cute idea to portray--the bucket list. I did think that the idea was mentioned a little too much in such a short story. We get it. However, the setting and characters were very sweet. It didn't really bother me that the detail of where the main characters live was left out. All sorts of details get left out in these stories--I just roll with it. LOL

Sandy Smith said...

I think the reason the lack of location bothered me was that they exchanged phone numbers but didn't ask where they lived. It would have worked great if they had exchanged phone numbers and discovered they were in the same area code.

Kate Willoughby said...

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.