Monday, August 31, 2015

Love at the Farmers' Market

by Diane Crawford from the August 17, 2015 issue

Tagline: Everybody at the farmers' market seemed to love Lily's zucchini brownies--and she was please when one good-looking customer came back for more!

Observations: I always look forward to Diane Crawford's stories. (Hi, Diane! Long time, no email! :) ) This one was a solid offering. When I read the tagline, I immediately thought of another story set at a farmer's market. The heroine in that one wore a crazily-colored wig as a sales gimick...

Anyway, what I liked about this one was that she lead you to believe that the guy her grandmother wanted her to meet and the zucchini brownie lover were one and the same person. If you're a long-time reader of Woman's World stories, I'm sure you weren't fooled at all. But that doesn't really matter, Woman's World readers are willing to suspend their disbelief and pretend for the sake of the reading experience. That's really what we all do when we read romance, right? It will always end happily, but we enter a state of temporary disillusion so we can have fun worrying that it won't.

When the reveal finally happened...I loved that part, where she pretended to be psychic and spouted all the wrong information. I thought that was hilarious. And the hero's response was perfect.

"Reception must be bad today. My name is Tanner, my grandmother is Ruth and I'm an EMT." He took the brownies. "How about we discuss your psychic abilities over coffee when you're finished here? There's a coffee shop around the corner."

I also really liked how I felt at the end of the story. Sometimes when I finish reading a Woman's World story, I feel quietly content that things will work out. With this story, there was more excitement and optimism in the heroine. She was really psyched (yes, I still use that term) to go out with Tanner and it came through.

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice there was a recipe for zucchini brownies in this issue. Coincidence? I don't think so. :)

Photo credit: BarbaraLN via Creative Commons license

5 comments:

Betsi said...

Sweet story with a clever twist, very enjoyable!

Mary Ann said...

I really enjoyed this story. The interaction between the characters seemed real and was very cute and funny. Loved it.

Sandy Smith said...

I also really enjoyed the dialogue you quoted. I liked the twist.

Diane Crawford said...

I'd love to take credit for the ending -- the editor did an excellent job of tying in the psychic element. She also changed my zucchini muffins to zucchini brownies, but that worked too, esp since the magazine had a recipe for the same in that issue! Thanks for the kind words.

Mary Jo said...

Brownies with zucchini? Are you sure that is what the little green stuff is? People who bought them might think they are getting something else and that is why they are so popular. Just sayin'.