Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Halloween Fun, After All

by J.M. Faddis from the October 26, 2015 issue

Tagline: As a girl, Amy had loved Halloween. Now, grown-up and focused on her career, she simply had no time for holiday frivolity--or so she thought...

Observations: I liked this story, but I find myself puzzled. I feel like it easily could have been a matchmaker story and am wondering if it is. Was Amy's mom trying to set her up? It seems like it. But then she does actually sprain her ankle, so I think, maybe it's not a matchmaker story. But then Amy narrows her eyes at her mom, and once again, I think it is a matchmaker story.

Either way, it really doesn't matter what I label it. The story is what it is. But was anyone else feeling confused? Maybe because I automatically read these stories with a critical eye, my brain wasn't allowing me to just enjoy the story as a story... All I could think about was figuring out what the intent was.

Photo credit: Dru Bloomfield via Creative Commons license

4 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I agree that I was also a bit puzzled as to whether or not the mom intended to be a matchmaker. Since she kept asking Amy to come over to do all the things that Henry had been helping her with, it does seem like she was matchmaking. Maybe the sprained ankle just turned out to be the way she could get Amy to finally come over. In the beginning I thought it was a story about the mom finding someone and he would turn out to have a grandson. We probably all assumed Henry was an older gentleman. I really enjoyed the story. I thought it was very well written.

Mary Jo said...

When I see the author's first name represented by initials in these WW stories, I immediately think that the writer is a man. Am I wrong in this case? Well, the impression repeated itself with the line that "girls just want to have fun." Someone laughing over a broken ankle, as I recall? Most women would be more likely to have hysterics. Just saying.

Tamara said...

I think Mom wanted to fix her daughter up with the man across the street, but I don't think she'd go so far as to break a bone. I kinda thought the neighbor took great measures to help the mom, possibly more than most neighbors would do if they didn't know each other that long. But, it's WW, and it facilitated the story. I really liked the description of the man--the nice hand attached to the muscled arm, attached to broad shoulders, up to a handsome face topped by tousled dark hair.

Kate Willoughby said...

I also liked that description, Tamara.

I wouldn't have hysterics over a broken ankle. More likely, I'd be furious with myself and annoyed at what that is going to mean for several weeks, like will I be able to drive? I certainly wouldn't be able to work.:)